Saturday 20 December 2014

Spreading Christmas Joy - My Very Simple Christmas Cookies



and the first real post begins...

Christmas is most definitely the most wonderful time of the year, and certainly my favourite. There is nothing I love more than oversized jumpers, crazy Christmas socks and a warm fire crackling near as my family and I watch an endless list of Christmas classics (Love Actually and Arthur Christmas are my favourites) or play board and card games, laughing as one of my brothers gets angry because I won cluedo again!
Today I'll be sharing with you one of my favourite and definitely the most simple christmas recipe. 
I've slowly been trying to start living a healthier lifestyle and in the future you can expect healthier recipes but it's christmas. I also like the idea of a balanced diet being mostly good for your body, but sometimes you need things that are good for your soul.
I love to bake and I love to invent and try new things within baking. This is a very simple biscuit recipe I have adapted from a long road of trial-and-error. 
It's quick and easy-peasy, and decorating them is a whirl. 


All you need is:
• a hundred and fourty grams of icing sugar 
• one egg yolk (dispose of the white)
• two hundred and fifty grams of butter (good for your soul!)
• three hundred and seventy five grams of plain flour 
• a good slosh of vanilla extract - (about one teaspoon)


                                                                 Preheat your ovens to:

190C
Fan Oven: 170C
Gas 5
Aga Bottom Right (well, on mine it is)

How to make these deliciousnesses:


  1. Mix together the icing sugar, egg yolk, butter and vanilla extract until all mixed up
  2. Add the flour and mix until the mixture is a firm dough - do try to not over mix as this works up the gluten in the flour and the end result will not be satisfying
  3. Split the dough in half and squish them both into two flat discs and wrap in cling film before placing them in the fridge for at least twenty minutes (Tip: Get the discs of dough out one by one as it is much easier to cut out the shapes and place them on your baking tray if they are chilled, not warm.)
  4. Roll the dough out onto a slightly floured surface so it doesn't stick, and make sure to sprinkle dough onto your rolling pin too. Roll it to a thickness of about a centimetre (or thicker if you want thick biscuits) 
  5. Cut out the shapes - I used Christmas Tree, Snowflake, Candycane and Circle cutters for mine
  6. Place onto either a nonstick baking tray or a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes 
  7. Let your scrummy biscuits cool before trying to decorate them

Now onto the funniest part, DECORATING AHH


For mine, I used different methods and got some really fun results, so just play around and see what looks good and what doesn't work

I used icing sugar mixed with water, fondant icing and lots of squeezing icing I found in my local shop's cake section.




Enjoy these little joys, I adore the taste and icing them was so satisfying.
Have a fabulous Sunday and a very Merry Christmas with your loved ones. 
Remember Christmas time is also the greatest time for forgiving and forgetting.

Lots of Love and Christmassy Kisses,
Maddy x



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com