Sunday 28 December 2014

My New Year's Resolutions - Appreciating Life A Little More





I cannot believe how quickly this year has gone. It feels that only yesterday I was celebrating the start of 2014 and now it is suddenly almost the end. Last year I didn't set myself resolutions but I wish I had. So, I've set myself some resolutions for 2015 and I intend to keep them.

The first is saying yes. Obviously if somebody asks me to jump off a cliff or punch a policeman, I won't say yes. But this year I've found there have been many occasions when I wish I'd said yes. I've discovered I never truly regret something I have done but I always regret the things I didn't. Whether it's a favour to a friend or a competition or simply a question. Saying yes (at appropriate times) is my main aim for the new year.

The second is trying new things. I am a  worrier, a big big worrier. I'm always picking out the things that could go wrong in a situation which results in me worrying more. Trying new things involves stepping out of one's comfort zone and that is something I am trying to do more of. So this year I want to do new, exciting things and I want to enjoy them. I'm also hoping this will give me a confidence boost or just decrease my worrying. 

Number three on my list is to get healthy. Recently I've been trying to get fit and healthy and obviously over this Christmas holiday I have not stuck to it. So starting tomorrow I'm having another go and I intend to keep it on into the new year. This involves eating right, exercising, sleeping better and becoming much more confident. I'll admit I've never been happy with my body but recently I've started developing a bit of a 'I don't give a f***' attitude towards my body which I am glad about. But I do want to get healthier and fitter. 

Last on my list but definitely an important one is being a bit kinder and aware of others. I know for a fact that when I'm tired or stressed I can be rather bitchy and not mean it. I also know I've recently been pushing some of my closest friends away, which is a stupid mistake and I don't want to push them any further. Friends are such an important part of my life and I'd hate it if I lost one of them. I'm also talking about being kinder to others too. Whether that's picking up a strangers scarf and getting it back to them or helping a younger year. I just want to start helping others more and to stop being quite so self-absorbed. We all are a little and that's alright, sometimes you need to care about yourself, but I want to make the world around me a happier place. So if I can help just one person, then I'll be doing a good job.

I suppose all of these resolutions are about appreciating my life a little more. I recently discovered a family member of mine was in a nasty crash and could be left paralysed. Things like this are a real wake up call and so I want to life every second of this year trying harder than I did last year. We shouldn't need horrible events to push us into reflecting a little more, but sadly we do.

I know the state of our world isn't the most pleasing of things, but what I want you -yes you, the brilliant person reading all this- is to step outside, take a walk, read a book, reflect on your life and start appreciating the beautiful world we live in and the wonderful people that surround us. 

I have all faith that 2015 is going to be a good year, with ups and downs of course, but a good one. 

"Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough." - Oprah Winfrey


Happy New Year my lovelies. May it be filled with good people, happy moments and appreciation.

Maddy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com